This past week I was trying to mix up our meals a bit as hubby and I were starting to get bored with the same meals every week. I had a craving for stuffed peppers BUT didn’t want the traditional stuffed peppers with hamburg and rice. I knew we had a boat load of black beans and corn on hand so I decided to try both for the stuffing.
On Sunday I began researching for recipes but wasn’t finding something that sounded appealing. I like spicy and hubs can’t do a lot of spice so I was having a hard time finding a recipe that would suit us both. Then I stumbled on the black bean stuffed pepper recipe on Can You Stay For Dinner and new that this recipe would be perfect for us!
I didn’t follow the recipe 100%, I didn’t have enough time to soften my peppers in the oven so while I was getting everything else ready I cooked them in the microwave. They came out delicious and hubs actually has requested them again. Directly from the hubs mouth “This is the way stuffed peppers should be made!”.
SPICY BLACK BEAN STUFFED PEPPERS
- 2 medium peppers any kind you’d like
- 1/2 medium-sized onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1, 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch cayenne pepper for a little heat
- 1/2 cup sweet corn
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese, or any cheese you like
- fresh cilantro, salsa, and sour cream for serving
- Cut peppers in half and clean out seeds. Place peppers on a microwaveable plate and cook in microwave for about 15-20 minutes. I cooked them in 5 minute intervals to ensure they didn’t become overcooked.
- While peppers are cooking chop onion
- Heat olive oil in a small saucepan set over medium heat. Add your onion and saute for 3 minutes, until beginning to soften and turn translucent.
- Add garlic and stir constantly for 30 seconds
- Stir in your black beans along with the water
- Add your cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt, and cayenne. Stir, cover the pot, reduce the heat to low and simmer the beans for at least 15 minutes